Happy Monday, people of Austin! Let’s start today off on an informed note, shall we? Here’s everything happening today in Austin.
First, today’s weather:
Hot with sunshine. High: 101 Low: 72.
Here are the top stories today in Austin:
- If you’re looking for “the ideal cup of coffee,” you’re likely to find it in Austin! The city is filled with coffee shops where “local roasters, craft brewers, and champion latte artists” offer from “fair trade certified and locally roasted beans, to spicy seasonal handcrafted chais and exquisitely decorated rosettas.” For a list of the “top 5 most popular coffee shops in Austin” where coffee lovers can enjoy a very nice cup of joe, please visit: (NewsBreak Original)
- Due to a shortage of lifeguards in Austin, the 5 local year-round swimming pools have had to adjust their schedule of operations, and delays are expected at 29 more pools that normally open in early June. According to a City aquatics supervisor, “hiring this year has been an incredible challenge,” despite the fact that “they started recruiting and training earlier and have spent more money on advertising.” If you’re interested in becoming a lifeguard, apply here, and for more information visit: (KVUE.com)
- As part of its MetroArt program, CapMetro is seeking “Austin-area visual artists” to help “create original artwork on vehicles, at transit centers and in neighborhoods.” Those interested are invited to “attend a virtual information session on Tuesday, May 17.” Past works “have included bus wraps, murals at transit facilities and art applied directly to bus shelters.” For a list of some “specific projects for 2022-23,” please visit: (FOX 7 Austin)
- According to Austin mom Virginia Baldwin, her 2-year-old daughter, Thaddea Clemons, is a miracle. After 3 previous miscarriages, Baldwin “finally had Thaddea,” but she was still scared due to her past experiences of her. She said, “I don’t think it’s something you really get over, you just kind of keep living.” Fortunately, she found help through the Working Group 512 nonprofit in East Austin that offers “a talking circle…for Black mothers to discuss what they’re going through.” In addition, they provide 11 mothers with 6 months’ worth of “diapers and formula” for their babies. For more information visit: (KVUE.com)
- On Thursday, July 21, American rapper and songwriter, Kendrick Lamar, will make a stop in Austin during his worldwide tour. “The 14-time Grammy Award winner” will perform songs from “his latest album, ‘Mr. Morale & the Big Steppers’,” at the “Moody Center, located on the University of Texas-Austin campus.” Tickets will go on sale Friday, May 20. For tickets and more concert details, visit Lamar’s website and read: (msn.com)
Today in Austin:
From my notebook:
- “This is a first-class school. This is a first-class institution. I’m coming no matter what!” Meet Emily Slaughter, a Forty Acres Scholarship recipient and 2022 UT grad at https://utex.as/39O5Wtu.” (Facebook)
- “On Saturday May 21, Austin ISD is hosting a Job Fair from 9 am-Noon for positions in Food Services, Maintenance and Transportation. Apply in person at Austin ISD Central Warehouse, located at 3701 Woodbury Drive or online at www.AustinISD.org/Careers.” (Facebook)
- “No longer just a fasting street food in India, Batata Kachori takes a sweet and savory shape in the US, featuring chef Jyotiee Kistner with chef Yia Vang at Kitchen Window. Watch the video from our friends at TPT – Twin Cities PBS.” (Facebook)
More from our sponsors — thanks for supporting local news!
That’s it for today. I’ll see you around!
— Gabriela Couvillion
About me: I’m an active mom of two grown sons and lifelong San Antonio resident. I received a BA in Spanish from the University of Texas at San Antonio, and in my free time I immerse myself in creative writing. Thanks for reading Patch, and feel free to reach out if you have any news and happenings you think may appeal to our readers!
Have a news tip or suggestion for an upcoming Austin Daily? Contact me at DowntownAustin@patch.com